Subject: [Leica] LUG 20th anniversary
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:39:29 -0700

When I first joined the LUG, more than ten years ago, either when I
got my M6 or shortly before, members were very helpful to me. Also
the weekend FS was useful.

I bought my 90mm Summicron from Henning Wulff, and the style of the
transaction was very pleasing. I asked: "How do we proceed?" The
answer was: "I'll send you the lens. If you like it, send me a check.
If you don't like it, send it back." I immediately mailed him a check.

I then encountered Jim Brick. He is no longer on this list. We met a
couple of times for lunch. He introduced me to people at Keeble who
would give me a discount. He then simultaneously adjusted the
vertical alignment of my M6's range finder and sneaked a picture of
me. The next time we met, he presented me with an 11 x 14 print.

The plastic cover of the hood for the 35mm Summicron wound up on the
floor of a bus somewhere in Toronto. I put in a request on the LUG
for anyone who would sell me one. A couple of weeks later, an
envelope arrived in the mail with a far eastern postmark and stamps;
I think it was from Burma. Inside, gratis, was a hood cover in better
condition than the one I lost. It never fell off. I hope I sent the
guy a "thank you".

At the time I first joined, I got the Lug postings in digest form and
never understood how to send timely replies to posts. After a hiatus
in which I stopped active photography, I bought the M9 and became
active again in the LUG. And, I didn't subscribe in digest form this
time. Now, seeing the volume of postings on the LUG, I don't
understand just what the digest form is, but I'm hesitant to learn by
trying it out again. Would some kind soul on the LUG please explain
how the digest form works. I'm curious.
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org