Subject: [Leica] IMG: more NEX-7 macro images
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:30:11 -0700

Still playing with the 100 APO on the NEX-7. I like what it does. There,
unfortunately, a difficulty with the camera. I hesitate to call it a defect,
but it will cause a problem for anyone wanting to use a large heavy lens
which requires the camera to be mated with a tripod. The NEX-7 is a very
thin camera, as in less than 1" I think. With the 100 APO mounted (which
weighs more than the camera does), I couldn't make a stable mounting to the
tripod. Even with the screw to the mounting plate tightened as much as I
dared centering an image was very difficult because the lens would droop,
maybe 1/2 a frame. It's not the camera body that is bending, it's the soft
rubber mounting that is being compressed by torque. I hope that makes sense.
With the Sony lenses, which aren't very heavy, this isn't a problem. With
something big (a Noctilux, the 100 APO) it's a major problem. The Telyt
series will work okay because the lens is mounted to the tripod not the
camera. I think there may be a solution but it'll take some engineering.

Anyway...

Two takes on California Poppies. This is a much redder version that the more
normal orange version. There are also vivid reds and whites out there
somewhere. We'd love to have any of them for our garden. I digress.

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/22003432_Lz2PWj#!i=1766720283&k=pj9t4g3&lb=1&s=A>

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/22003432_Lz2PWj#!i=1766720688&k=Qd7Wb4Z&lb=1&s=A>

This is also a poppy. I liked this more pastel colors.

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/22003432_Lz2PWj#!i=1766721263&k=SHD6Rnq&lb=1&s=A>

They also come in white:

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/22003432_Lz2PWj#!i=1766721958&k=zKLPGtv&lb=1&s=A>

And then there are these little iris. These are really small, perhaps the
whole plant was 12" high.

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/22003432_Lz2PWj#!i=1766722303&k=z8tRPZK&lb=1&s=A>

This is a crop from the center of the image.

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] IMG: more NEX-7 macro images)