Subject: [Leica] Deepwater Bay at ISO 25,600
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:08:26 +0800

Hi Luggers,
We went to Middle Island last night for a barbecue to celebrate my
daughter's wedding anniversary. I took along the X Pro 1 and the 35mm f1.4.
Towards the end of the evening I set the camera on a railing and took this
picture of the Deepwater Bay coastline:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/XPRO/DeepwaterHiISOw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/bvenyec

Here is the same scene developed to Black and White so that it is easy to
check for noise:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/XPRO/DeepwaterBayBWw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/7k6k7qk

Technical details: ISO25,600 1/4 second @f5.6. Shot in jpeg (because I can't
process RAW yet on my MAC) - noise reduction in the camera turned down to
lowest level, no noise reduction applied in the CS5 development.

I think there may be something to the new non bayer array in the fuji sensor
and the lack of filter over the sensor. These examples are certainly in the
Nikon D700 world in terms of low noise and high ISO and the D700 has been
for me, so far, the standard against which I look at other high ISO
performance. I think we may be entering a new era.

Please view large.

C&C always welcome.

Cheers
Howard