Subject: [Leica] McArthur Estates
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 02:22:09 -0400

It depends on where you are in the USA. In Florida, a lot of retirees live
in them, and in places where housing is outrageously expensive, a lot of
middle class people live in them. I saw that a lot in New Mexico, because
houses in the Santa Fe area started at $300,000 for a dump in the barrio
(the bad section of town) and averaged $600,000 for houses that middle
class people in Indiana buy less than $100,000.

Here in Indiana, where housing is really cheap (you can buy a VERY nice
house for $90,000 here in Fort Wayne, and housing is cheaper in Indiana's
small towns than it is here in the city!), only really trashy people live
in trailers. People here refer to trailer parks as "The white man's
ghetto". The people who live in them are not necessarily poor, many are
not, but they are culturally low-class, if that makes sense. A lot of
rednecks who have good factory jobs or jobs as skilled tradesmen
(plumbers, electricians, etc) will live in a trailer and spend their
middle class wages on beer, cigarettes, and a bigass expensive pickup
truck. Most people in trailer parks are poor though, and generally always
white. Poor blacks here live in houses in the inner city, which can often
be bought for less than $30,000.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography