Subject: [Leica] McArthur Estates
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:04:22 +0100

One of my friends moved to Zionsville just outside Indianapolis about 10
years ago. My son's house and garden would comfortably fit in his
kitchen.... He sold a pretty cottage near Cambridge and his mansion in
Zionsville was cheaper.
FD

On 29 Mar, 2012, at 09:03, Chris Crawford wrote:

> You live in a city the size of Fort Wayne. We have 250,000 in the city and
> 300,000 if you count the suburbs. The $30,000 houses are the part of town
> where we have murders, shootings, drug gangs, etc...not a good area to
> live in. A house in a middle class neighborhood is $90,000-$100,000.
> $360,000 houses are in the very wealthy areas...that gets you a 6,000
> square foot house with 5 bedrooms here!
>
> Indiana is a good place to live if you have a decent job, because cost of
> living is very low, but unfortunately, there are NO jobs for educated
> people and the good paying blue-collar jobs have become very rare because
> all our factories are in China now.
>
> --
> Chris Crawford
> Fine Art Photography
> Fort Wayne, Indiana
> 260-437-8990

> http://blog.chriscrawfordphoto.com  My latest work!

> Become a fan on Facebook
>

> On 3/29/12 3:15 AM, "Gerry Walden" <gwpics at me.com> wrote:
>
>> With house prices that low it looks as though we should move to Indiana,
>> but the trouble is that we would have to spend the money we make on the
>> change of houses to pay for our medical needs. The thought of ANY house
>> for $30,000 here is just unthinkable. I live in a city of a quarter of a
>> million people, and I live in a pretty modest 3 bedroomed semi-detached
>> house which is probably worth around the 360 to 400,000 dollar mark.
>>
>> Gerry
>>
>> Gerry Walden
>> +44 (0)23 8046 3076 or
>> +44 (0)797 287 7932
>> www.gwpics.com
>>
>> On 29 Mar 2012, at 07:22, Chris Crawford wrote:
>>
>>> It depends on where you are in the USA. In Florida, a lot of retirees
>>> live
>>> in them, and in places where housing is outrageously expensive, a lot of
>>> middle class people live in them. I saw that a lot in New Mexico,
>>> because
>>> houses in the Santa Fe area started at $300,000 for a dump in the barrio
>>> (the bad section of town) and averaged $600,000 for houses that middle
>>> class people in Indiana buy less than $100,000.
>>>
>>> Here in Indiana, where housing is really cheap (you can buy a VERY nice
>>> house for $90,000 here in Fort Wayne, and housing is cheaper in
>>> Indiana's
>>> small towns than it is here in the city!), only really trashy people
>>> live
>>> in trailers. People here refer to trailer parks as "The white man's
>>> ghetto". The people who live in them are not necessarily poor, many are
>>> not, but they are culturally low-class, if that makes sense. A lot of
>>> rednecks who have good factory jobs or jobs as skilled tradesmen
>>> (plumbers, electricians, etc) will live in a trailer and spend their
>>> middle class wages on beer, cigarettes, and a bigass expensive pickup
>>> truck. Most people in trailer parks are poor though, and generally
>>> always
>>> white. Poor blacks here live in houses in the inner city, which can