Subject: [Leica] OT: OK, ISO 400 120 film...
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:35:18 +1030

Neopan 400 in 120 was discontinued in 2009.  Kodak discontinued TXP (320)
in 120 format in 2010.

The bigger the format the better TX (400) looks (acknowledging that once
you go past medium format it's different film - I mean the bigger the frame
on 120 film).  That's what I mostly use.  I also like TMY2.  It has less
latitude but wider dynamic range if shot optimally and the grain is finer
and it is sharper than a cubic emulsion 100 speed film.

It's been a long time since I used a normal speed Ilford film for my own
work (I use Delta 3200 and TMZ interchangeably depending on what I can get
- in 135 obviously); in a couple of my darkrooms the wetting agent
incorporated into the emulsion of the Delta films frothed so much it popped
the tops of the cans.  Tom A has the same problem in Vancouver.  One of
those darkrooms was on an island - it had only reverse osmosis water
derived from seawater and everything from off the island had to be shipped
or flown in; a difficult situation. But Ilford Delta 400 is almost as nice
as TMY2 and HP5+ in medium format can look very, very sharp if shot and
developed properly.

Marty

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] OT: OK, ISO 400 120 film...)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: OK, ISO 400 120 film...)