Subject: [Leica] 50mm ZM C-Sonnar
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 09:05:10 +0100

I could be wrong but the 2 versions of the RD-1 ie the RD-1 and RD-1s looked
like Epson re-announcing the same camera to sell  existing unsold in stock
parts. My RD-1 is the same as a RD-1s which simply has the latest software
and an extra "s" engraved on the top plate.
My point is that it is extremely unlikely that anybody could possibly
manufacture a lower price digital rangefinder at the volume of sales likely
for a non-autofocus camera with expensive lenses. Lets not forget that the
CV and ZM lenses, whilst less expensive than Leica lenses are still very
expensive compared to mass produced autofocus equivalents from the big
makers.
Production volume has a m-a-s-s-i-v-e influence on production cost. The R8/9
lost Leica a fortune. It would not surprise me to learn that the development
and tooling costs for the S2 were similar to those for the R8, and since it
is MF and AF it can sell at a higher price, and may even eventually sell in
bigger numbers.
If Nikon and Canon can not sell the 100,000s of premium models at a profit
there is no chance at all that a FF manual focus rangefinder selling
probably less than 1% as many can be made cheaper.
IMHO.
As an engineering consultant I have costed quite a few ambitious projects
from enthusiasts, all have worked out spectacularly too expensive because of
amortising tooling and development cost over tiny volume.

FD

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] 50mm ZM C-Sonnar)
Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] 50mm ZM C-Sonnar)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] 50mm ZM C-Sonnar)