Subject: [Leica] cleaning my M8 sensor
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:18:02 +1000

Jean-Michel, I forgot to add, everyone's M sensor is spotty 98% of the
time. It's just that we never stop our lenses down to notice ;-)
Plain skies and small apertures will find you out every time. By the way
the cover glass on the M9 sensor is much thinner than that on the M8. Many
other camera sensors have much thicker covering and/or ant-dust systems
too. I know personally of some terrible abuse of M8 sensors that somehow
survived but you can crack the bonded on coverglass on an M9 sensor
with DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED direct finger pressure. And that means an
expensive complete sensor assembly replacement.
I've cleaned my M sensors I guess dozens of times over the last five years
or so with no problems. The first time is the scariest.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman