Subject: [Leica] The world is awash with M9.......
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:33:36 +0930

The 28 Elmarit 2.8 ASPH appeared to be designed for the M8 not the
Summicron - its performance drops in the corners when used wide open
on a 24x36mm frame as you can see on the MTF chart linked from here:
http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/lenses/2194.html.  The
28 Summicron is sharp right out to the corners, and has a very flat
field.  H. Ball Arche, who used to use a 28 a lot and posted here
prolifically, didn't like the flat field because it made heads in the
corners of the frame look like footballs - he preferred the C-V 28/1.9
which had greater barrel distortion and a less flat field, but less
apparent distortion of things like heads in the corners.  A nice
display of the compromises optical design includes.

The 35 Summicron ASPH was designed during the film era and in some
ways doesn't perform as well as the 35 Summilux ASPH II with the
floating element, but it's still pretty formidable.  On the M8 I
prefer a 28 to a 35, but I think generally I prefer a 28 overall, even
if it is the Nikkor 28mm f1.4 which is actually a ~31mm lens.  After
Leica revises the 50 Summicron (now the oldest lens in the M line up
and the only Summicron without aspherical element(s)) the 35 and 90
ASPH Summicrons are probably next, because they are the oldest.

Summicron 28 (borrowed, and my, look at that magenta!):
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Freakscene_001/L1002579.jpg.html
Nikkor 28:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Tsukiji/File0825.jpg.html

Marty