Subject: [Leica] interesting photo experience
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 22:57:43 -0600

Our local university art museum (U of New Mexico) has a wonderful photo
collection due to the fact that three former faculty members
were affiliated with the George Eastman House (one was photo historian
Beaumont Newhall).  Recently they've been having noontime talks about some
of the photos in the collection, styled as "conversations" with a leader
who has some credentials in the field, each week with a different leader.
 Yesterday's talk was led by an architectural historian who featured photos
with an architectural theme (broadly interpreted).  The idea is to have the
audience interact as much as possible so as to introduce various points of
view into the discussion.  Someone might mention a connection to poetry,
another to theater, etc.  It was amazing how much the photos were enriched
by hearing how others saw them and what they brought to the table.  The
photos included works by Ansel Adams, Henry Fox Talbot, Walker Evans,
Helen Levitt, Josef Koudelka, Harry Callahan, and others of that stature.
 Next week focuses on Diane Arbus and the next on Wm. Eggleston.
 Unfortunately, I missed some of the earlier sessions because I didn't know
about them.  I feel very lucky to have this kind of resource available and
convenient to where I live.  Can't wait till next week.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] interesting photo experience)