Subject: [Leica] IMG: One More for Geoff
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 16:50:46 +1000

Jim I do hope that dignified old lady gets to work again or retire
somewhere comfortable. Fading away neglected is no suitable end for her.
I likeyour effrts with filters for some extra drama from the clouds. You
could probably afford to crank up the contrast too? Worth a look anyway.

As you mentioned, yes I've flown some thousands of miles as a passenger in
the (now retired) RAAF daks. They were both workhorses and test beds at the
R&D unit. One of ours (in British markings I think ) flew in the Berlin
airlift. They were not airframe hours limited designs unlike modern high
performance aircraft..
 Cockpit windows that could be slid open in flight, ashtrays (!) a battered
funnel rivetted to a bulkhead with relief tube open to outside air, loose
wooden floor panels, canvas benches, hand pumped hydraulic reservoirs etc.
I'll keep some stories offlist to protect the (almost) innocent.  One full
of us and gear did once have to return  unexpectedly. I learnt that you
should not stow your personal bag nearest the door in case of rapid weight
shedding activities!  I witnessed a flight bearing a number of aircrew
veterans have a double failure on takeoff and belly land straight ahead.
Those grand gentleman got out unhurt and chirpy and I suspect were taken
back to the Mess for restorative fluids.
Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman