Subject: [Leica] Tripods
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:35:28 +1000

Jayanand for my two cents I think you need to consider priorites/trade-offs
and compromises in the features that you have mentioned. You really cannot
get everything you desire in one magical perfect tripod!
If you get 10 rreplies that will be 24 recommendations too.

I have two Gitzo carbon fibre models here, a 1541T and a GT2531 . As you
know I primarily shoot with the M9 but each model works very well with my
(L plated) D7000 too). The little travellers are superbly compact and
strong for their size but if you plan to use those long teles of yours a
series 2 would be a better choice regarding stability. You have to work
much harder to approach that with a tiny traveller.

If you want to use an L plate the RRS ballheads and associated options are
an excellent choice. There are any number of possible system components
(for bottomless budgets!) you can use with them including the excellent
pano gear, macro slides complete safari outfits etc etc.
As far as I am aware you can only purchase RRS gear from them directly.

My fearless recommendations for you are the BH-40 ballhead with clamp of
your choice for the Series 2 and the BH-30 for the Series 1

Whatever you choose in legs or ballheads you can of course interchange. In
my view the base plate/L plate RRS Arca Swiss etc system is superior to the
conventional tripod screw attachments in every respect.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman