Subject: [Leica] SD card pricing
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:03:44 +0100 (BST)

Particularly memory! The first computer I bough for home was a Macintosh II
in 1987 ish. It had 2Mb of memory and I added 2Mb more, for ?2000 extra. It
had a 40Mb hard drive and cost ?6500. It was more powerful than the computer
I was using at work, which ran a wind tunnel installation, amongst other
things. I often reflect at these memory prices my iPhone would have cost
?64,000,000 for the memory alone!
Lots of memory is needed for attractive graphics and video but the really
complex calculations rarely need much, I remember when we needed 128kb to
run the wind tunnel programme it made the Analog Devices internal magazine
in an article on the biggest memory they had ever supplied for their Macsym
2 process control computer. This would have been the winter of 1980.
Pity other things haven't gone down as much!
cheers,
Frank