Subject: [Leica] PARIS FASHION PHOTOS 1965
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 20:24:06 -0700

Hi Crew,
A couple of weeks ago Stasys Petravicius asked about a Paris fashion shoot I
did around 1965. Here are three images I managed to find.

LOOK HERE AND READ STORY.   Thank you.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ted+grant/

1/ The model in plaid and street sweeper standing beside her like a Roman
Guard. :-)

I placed the model kitty corner across the street inter section as the Art
Director wanted the red stop sign and restaurant  name above her.

I told the model I would indicate when I was starting to shoot and as soon
as I did, she was to count to 5 then change position. So there she was
standing all alone, count 5 and move. All of a sudden the street sweeper guy
is coming into frame from the left. He stopped before entering the frame
just watching this woman making all these different movements in silence.

The AD is freaking out as the little guy walks behind her as she keeps
moving and I keep shooting. Now the AD is telling me to stop and get that
guy the hell out of the scene!  Me? I respond, "No, no, no leave him be and
see what happens?"  Well he stopped as you can see in the frame and I'm
clicking away as she continues to move. Then the sweeper crossed the street
and was gone!

AD is pissed off at me for not telling the guy to get out of the shooting
area and telling me I'd never shoot for them again because I didn't do what
he ordered me to do. Me? I thought I had something different and
illustrating we were in Paris! And guess what picture was the lead
photograph in the magazine big fashion layout full page lead? ? :-) Yep!
This one!!!!!!! :-) However I never shot with the AD ever again! Hell his
loss!

2/ Trust me having 2 Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers in dress red
serge jacket and a model walking down the middle of the Champs-Elysees in
Paris during the middle of the afternoon could be called a death wish!!
Drivers gawking, waving, yelling and whistling! It was wild and I kept
hoping a driver wouldn't lose control and run over me as I was squatting
down moving backwards and couldn't see what was coming from behind.

3/  The model and Eiffel Tower was a non-event. Found a location where I
could get both against  a clean clear sky and it was click a bunch as she
changed positions. In what fashion shoots I've done on locations like this
and a crew has been flown in. You better have some obvious land mark images
where it's obvious the shoot is taking place in Paris or whever! Certainly
after the money spent for flights, accommodation and on-location crew and
models.

So there you go. However fashion was never a big deal as I hated posing
them. Not my cup of tea even if I were paid nicely. :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] PARIS FASHION PHOTOS 1965)
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] PARIS FASHION PHOTOS 1965)