Subject: [Leica] Product lineup
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:43:36 -0400

Ernie,

>From what I understand, the 2.5 lineup didn't sell very well.  You can
still find them readily at most dealers, unlike lenses of unobtainium like
the new Noctilux, etc.  What Leica understands is that high end sells
really well.  It may not make sense to photographers on prosaic budgets,
like us, but it makes sense to Leica's active buyers.

My favorite analogy comes from the late, great Ethel Merman.  When The
Merm saw "Torch Song Trilogy", author Harvey Fierstein approached her
after the performance and asked her opinion.  The Merm replied, "I thought
it was a piece of shit.  But the audience laughed and cried and applauded,
so what the fuck to I know?"

Indeed, that's how I feel about Leica these days.  The audience is
laughing, crying, and applauding with their money.

Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA