Subject: [Leica] working & earning & lifetsyle
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 09:13:46 +0530

Ken,
Jobs were equally difficult in India when I graduated in 1972 (yes, I
am just a simple Bachelor of Science). I got to where I was by
cracking the most difficult job exam in India in those days for State
Bank of India. Yes, it was a public exam, and in the my year 400,000
people wrote it for 250 job openings. After you passed the exam, you
had to go through an intensive full day group discussion, and then a
2-3 hour interview. All for a job earning less than US$50 a month (at
the exchange rates prevalent at that time, less than US$20 per month
at today's rates). You know what? It was fantastic. We worked in the
rural boondocks, stayed in everything from huts with no toilets to
rented accommodation, ate out every meal, and still managed to save
money and accumulate invaluable work experience - which was the
stepping stone to creating the capital that enabled me to go out on my
own - it took 16 years of slog and saving, though. A lot of very hard
work, and very careful husbanding of resources over 38 years has
enabled me to be where I am now - there has never been and there is
still no free lunch in the world.
Cheers
Jayanand