Subject: [Leica] working & earning & lifetsyle
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:44:50 +0530
References: <mailman.1123.1336915033.51800.lug@leica-users.org> <CBD538F1.117DD%manolito@videotron.ca> <20120513192246.GJ58161@selenium.125px.com> <20120513152815.7a5b9117@linux-pfy5.site> <CAFuU78fenB=Rk4eDqOUeAKSZPFB7JL+=MiqcKEAR4KtMznj2FA@mail.gmail.com> <CABXy4064j5mK8=0u4EpvMo7VRbZteFXCu3tGxYcW7Piw=ajK_Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ3JVyeMS57iu9E=rDYq=k+Z-h+o9xoeQaaLsf8O_kXP_w@mail.gmail.com> <CAFuU78dwi++pKGTcvkrfk31YEkjtpqawGu7S4CXNo43FtRMNZg@mail.gmail.com>

Well, if the only example you can drag up for your reply is Donald
Trump, then there is nothing more to say.

I really think that we should continue, if we must, on the forum.

Otherwise I am done with this.

Cheers
Jayanand

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Lew Schwartz <lew1716 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> <jayanand at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ken,
>> Jobs were equally difficult in India when I graduated in 1972 (yes, I
>> am just a simple Bachelor of Science). I got to where I was by
>> cracking the most difficult job exam in India in those days for State
>> Bank of India. Yes, it was a public exam, and in the my year 400,000
>> people wrote it for 250 job openings. After you passed the exam, you
>> had to go through an intensive full day group discussion, and then a
>> 2-3 hour interview. All for a job earning less than US$50 a month (at
>> the exchange rates prevalent at that time, less than US$20 per month
>> at today's rates). You know what? It was fantastic. We worked in the
>> rural boondocks, stayed in everything from huts with no toilets to
>> rented accommodation, ate out every meal, and still managed to save
>> money and accumulate invaluable work experience - which was the
>> stepping stone to creating the capital that enabled me to go out on my
>> own - it took 16 years of slog and saving, though. A lot of very hard
>> work, and very careful husbanding of resources over 38 years has
>> enabled me to be where I am now - there has never been and there is
>> still no free lunch in the world.
>> Cheers
>> Jayanand
>>
>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Ken Iisaka <ken at iisaka.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know if things are worse today. In some ways, yes, but in so many
>>> areas, things are way better today.
>>>
>>> The transportation cost is far lower today than it was 50 years ago, for
>>> example. Air travel was a domain of the rich only then, but we can fly
>>> just
>>> about anywhere in the world for less than the cost of a Leica lens, and
>>> I'm
>>> not talking about Noctilux or APO-Summicron 50mm ASPH either.
>>>
>>> The competition is more fierce because more people are competing for
>>> them.
>>> With greater scalability, we don't need as many hands to produce products
>>> and services, the number of people employed in certain sectors have not
>>> grown in proportion to the population growth.
>>>
>>> Back then, the vast majority of "colored" in most of the US had no
>>> opportunities for education or let alone a decent career. Heck, the vast
>>> majority of the entire population on earth had no such opportunities, and
>>> were living on subsistence living.
>>>
>>> Now, our economies are far more integrated, and giving opportunities
>>> never
>>> imagined before to far more people in more unthinkable places.
>>>
>>> It's no one's fault that we have need for fewer photojournalists today.
>>> With everyone with a camera on their cell phone, and everyone able to
>>> tweet
>>> from the scene, the inherent structure of journalism is changing.
>>>
>>> I am grateful for the fact that I am a 1%. I am well fed, have university
>>> education, an income and assets in the top 1% in the world, and own
>>> Leicas. However, I am aware that complaining about it doesn't do