Subject: [Leica] Leica 14464 Battery......
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 08:25:02 -0700

This is correct.  The box says Made in EU.  Maybe the box was made in EU.
Hardly interesting compared to where the stuff inside was made.

I differ on the second point....   I define OEM as what the manufacturer (
Leica in this case) sells through its marketing channels.  Aftermarket to me
means the battery that is marketed not by that manufacturer.

Apparently, from John and Sonny, we can deduce that Leica now supplies these
(to me) weirdly marked batteries when you buy a 14464 battery from their
dealers.

BTW, Popflash ( Tony Roma's mail order dealership) has a picture of the
14464 that is not quite the battery I just bought, but another version.
Certainly not he original.

It is not a matter of who made it, as has been pointed out before, Leica
does not make these things. It is about the technical specifications and
quality assurance aspects that are of interest to me.  If Leica is
"handling" the product, then I expect it passed some tested criteria of
Leica specifications. If it is aftermarket, then it could be either a reject
from that inspection stage or not tested at all or tested to a lower
standard or just fine.  You don't know nor have the reassurance that a big
company insisted that it is right.  It is for this reason that I bought one
$100 OEM battery.

It is for cost reasons that I have a bunch of $10-15 batteries.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net