Subject: [Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 16:11:12 -0400

It's "matching" now.
The idea that if you have a bunch of pix on the wall half of them shot with
film the other half with a digital camera they should all "match".
I wonder why? Would you make your albumin prints match your salt prints?
I think in the darkroom you make the best print you can make and when you're
sitting in front of your monitor with Photoshop and Lightroom you make the
best image you can make.
Altering your digital captures to look like the stuff you used to do strikes
me as very unnecessary; a bit odd, and a bit abhorrent.
I say make the best digital print can can make and forget about your
darkroom work. You're not in the darkroom any more. The materials you are
using are way different and have very little resemblance to the ones you
used in the 90's and before.
For many darkroom prints were grainy and a bit crude looking. With jacked up
contrast and obvious dodging and burning. That's the difference between what
we're getting now in digital. That and the obvious noise in shadows vs.
highlights. And the fact that in a gallery setting darkroom prints were semi
gloss dry down and inkjet prints are made on 100% rag.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!)