Subject: [Leica] Another MM Write up
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 11:57:31 -0400

Remember profits. All camera manufacturers make more on soft goods than
on the big ticket items. At the old shop I used to work at, we'd make
more off of the sale of two cheap filters that cost the shop $6 each
with a markup of 1800%, than we would off of a D700 with a pro ED zoom
lens. Profits on DSLR cameras and lenses never got above 8%.

This camera allows Leica to outsource production of calibrated color
filters along the whole range with fine gradations of desired contrast.
This technology is deprecated so it will be pretty much pure profit for
Leica to contract Marumi to put colored glass in brass rings labeled
"Leica" and sized according to each of their lenses. For the future M9M
users they are a necessity because, with a little hyperbole, the owner
of the M9M would only put a Leica filter on their $15,000 camera/lens
combo.

So we'll surely see a line of Leica filters for B&W probably just below
the price point for the UV/IR filters. I'm sure they will be nice
filters though.

Phil Forrest