Subject: [Leica] How about this one?
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 00:17:21 +0000

Several things:

The first thing I tell my students is that objectivity is a myth. Every time
we approach a shoot we bring to it our entire life's history; our
prejudices, our likes and dislikes, our fears, our preconceived notions of
every sort, every book we've read, every course we've taken, and so on. All
we can do is be acutely aware of all these things, and strive to be fair and
honest in our approach to our subjects. Because the one thing we absolutely
owe them is honesty.

As to the presence of a camera radically changing the reality - I disagree.
Yes, when you first enter a situation people may play to the camera. But
I've found that very quickly they ignore the camera and go about their
lives. I think we tend to forget how ubiquitous how cameras, whether Leicas,
iPhones, or point-and-shoots have become.

Finally, I won't put money on this - but I don't think HCB had the guy do
anything. He was shooting through a hole in a fence, and shot a series of
people as they tried to get across the puddle. The best of the images he got
was of the famous jumper. At least I believe that's correct.

Typed with big fingers on tiny keys