Subject: [Leica] Leica M lenses on the Fuji X-Pro 1 - IMAGE SHOT @6400
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:36:05 -0400

When E Leitz finally was convinced to come out with a new fangled SLR  it
came out with a cute little meter sensor on the top of the body of the
Leicaflex in 1964. Just in time for Nikon and Canon to have come out with
through the lens (TTL) metering bodies with no meter cell sitting on top of
the body but in side the camera making the lens itself become the meter
cell.  Making for hugely more accurate readings. A fact not lost on the
buying public or photographers as they stayed home in droves from the
cameras stores selling Leicaflex SLR's. It took a couple of years to get the
meter cell behind the lens but but then the market was squarely fixated on
Nikons and Canons.

So Leitz came out with a current product but not quite current technology.
The pro's didn't buy it.
Had they come out with a TTL in '64 the Leitz family would still own the
company.
And that's just like when they came out with their first out the M9 full
frame. With a sensor only good for very low ISO's. The kind of ISO's most
DSLR users had long stopped using unless they were using flash or tripods.
I think this is a shame.
The only confusing issue is this gap did not sink the company as Leica is
booming.
It shows them as being a bit slow on the uptake. But does snot make them a
lens company. Leica is a camera company whose lenes are second to none.

I think most top pros are certainly squarely fixated on their DSLR systems
they're shooting and may not buy the first batch of CMOS M9's or whatever
they want to call them to come out this winter.  Perhaps some of the older
ones with previous Leica experience will.
But by a years time you'll see them all over the place... Used by much more
high profile shooters than you're seeing now.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/