Subject: [Leica] LR4 repeated crashes
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:46:23 -0700

The only times I've had LR crash is when a file got corrupted on import,
which was usually caused by a card reader in its end of life throes. That
usually caused a crash when I tried to view that file in LR. I got rid of it
by either dumping the ....Previews.lrdata file that sits next to the .lrcat
catalog file. The lrdata file is actually a package or container made up of
individual preview files, therefore thousands. If you control-click on this
file you will get a menu with one item being 'Show Package Contents'. If you
select this you will get a window giving you access to all the previews,
which are named cryptically. However, you might well be able to find out
which are your most recent ones by the 'modified' date. Pick some of those
that seem likely candidates and dump them. Then the program won't crash
anymore and will rebuild those previews when you get to the pictures and
select them. The reason for doing this rather than dumping the whole .lrdata
package is that doing the latter would mean a very large amount of time
rebuilding the preview cache.

Also, you could restore the cache  from time machine from just before you
started getting the crashes.

There is a faint possibility that your actual LR preferences got corrupted;
they are in ~/users/(your
name)/Library/Preferences/Adobe/com.Adobe.Lightroom4.plist.  The problem is
that under System 10.7 the Library is now hidden and you need something like
Tinkertool to make it visible. Under 10.6 and earlier you can get directly
at it. Dumping it will make you have to recreate your Lightroom prefs, and
again you might consider restoring it from time machine.

Lightroom itself seems very stable.

Henning