Subject: [Leica] Message 10, vol 50, issue 224 (comment from Bob Barron)
From: bigdlakeside at yahoo.com (Rod Smith)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:16:46 -0700 (PDT)

Bob:
Thanks for the comment.
You are correct - preserving photos for future generations is a wise thing.
In fact, this is what I am doing.
Since the 1950's, my Dad, then I, have taken family photos (mostly slides).
Now that I am 57 (or 58) I am seeing that siblings, their kids, and their
kids will not be able to get their hands on all the original slides. So I am
scanning, and making prints and albums to share.
>From my wedding photography work, I have grown to enjoy the "coffee table"
>books. And that is what I am making for family members.
Thus far I have scanned over 1200 slides (and will undertake negatives
next). I am giving DVD's to family, and passing out the albums and prints. I
am trying to take precautions to do this with high quality products that are
a little better form an archival point of view.
The element I lack is getting family members to add names, dates, and
comments.
You see all the abandoned photos at flea markets and I wonder, who is this
person, what is their story, and how (why) did no one care enough to share
this history.
Maybe my efforts will let some of the progeny of my family know a little
more about their past than I do my own.
Every time I can mention it, I say to others - make prints, high quality
ones, and preserve them for the future.
Rod