Subject: [Leica] New equipment registration
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 06:33:23 -0700

My understanding is that the dealer registers all Leica stuff by reporting
the sale directly to Leica.  The card is both a (unnecessary)  formality and
a way for Leica to keep you on their lists.

When I got my M8, which was new from a registered dealer, and tried to
register it in my name, they told me it had already been sold to another.
When I objected, and showed them the bill of sale, they relented and
registered the camera in my name.

The origins of this are the old, unfilled warranty cards, that are passed
from owner to owner.. then finally, when something goes wrong on the item,
the registration card is sent in and warranty claims are asked for.  I have
seen IIIc bodies with unfilled warranty cards...

By California or Federal law ( I forget which), the bill of sale is the
legal registration "card".  An additional mail in card is not necessary nor
required to get warranty service.  So keep that bill of sale....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

So, not having any brand new Leica goodies for many years, I now have a
question.
If one has entered the s/n and other info at owners.leica-camera.com, does
this take care of the warranty?
Or would I need to actually send in the paper card enclosed in the box?

Thanks,

--
Jay,