Subject: [Leica] Nikon forum advice (OT!)
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 00:22:55 -0400

Well, as luck would have it, since I had not seen today's updates on the LUG
in Barcelona thread, the thread has given rise to one on exactly the lens
I'm having a problem with, the new AF-S Nikkor 24-120 mm f/4G lens. I got
one to replace the earlier version, which as far as I was concerned was only
really weak in the corners, in hopes of better overall performance and an
additional stop at the longer FLs.

The corner performance at  wide apertures at 24mm is just as horrible as
that of its predecessor, with worse chromatic aberration thrown in. The
central performance is a little better than that of the earlier version,
though contrast is deplorable wide open. I borrowed a copy of the new AF-S
Nikkor 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 zoom to compare size (much smaller diameter and
length), weight (one-third less), and performance in the context of its
price (55% less).

At 24mm and f/5.6, in the corners, the cheaper 24-85 blows the '120 away at
the same aperture, and gives comparable image quality to the '120 in the
center. Its corner images are closer to those of the 24mm f/1.4 prime at 5.6
than to those of the '120.

I'll post some examples tomorrow.

?howard