Subject: [Leica] More from the glorious days in Barcelona
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:07:04 -0700

Ken Carney offered:
" <kcarney1 at cox.net>
To: "'Leica Users Group'" <lug at leica-users.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Leica] More from the glorious days in Barcelona

> Ted,
>
> I've wondered about that.  I've seen photos of Gary Winogrand  just
> standing
> in one place and shooting roll after roll of people walking by.  I can
> understand how the guy who jumps up and flashes a strobe in someone's face
> might have a shorter than normal life span.  Maybe I need to change my
> black
> suit and tie and sunglasses....<<<<

Hi Ken,
Years ago during my days of shooting documentaries for the National Film
Board of Canada I never concerned myself about photographing people and
activities as I wandered the streets of Canadian cities nor any place they
sent me.

Never had a problem as I moved quickly along doing my thing capturing all
kinds of people and events occurring.
But as the years have gone by and society has changed, one can be very
quickly challenged for putting a camera up in the direction of some people
of today. No matter how quick one can to make their shot.  Now that maybe a
North American thing.

In Barcelona possibly they're more relaxed about cameras in their direction
as it seemed no one minded when we did. Lluis has to be the "Master Shooter"
in the quick-shoot manner. Quite amazing really as he walks along something
catches his eye and it's click and he keeps walking right along as though
nothing happened! :-)

And I don't mean he's 50 feet away. I mean he's 5 feet away from some and so
fast! :-)

Your mention of the guy in the States who pops a flash in a subjects face
and creates a kind of shock and awe and gone before the subject can recover.
He'd only do that to me once and whatever I had to do I'd get him face down
and he'd be awhile before he flashed anyone again. Despite I've heard he's
quite a nice guy. Pity! As I'd punch him out in any event if he flashed a
damn bulb in my face as I've seen him do on TV screen.

Lluis? He works fast and quietly just like a stealth bomber slipping in
under the radar! ;-)

cheers,
ted