Subject: [Leica] IMG: Airport Snaps
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:37:36 -0500

Hi Bharani,

No, but I'm not too surprised.  Loss of a CDL would really be a hardship for
me, because I must do most of the shopping, etc., and provide assistance to
my wife.

The flight medical certificate was not such a burden.  I was 63 at the time,
and had been in good health until I developed endocarditis, which damaged my
mitral valve.  As a result, I was given two St. Jude mechanicals, aortic and
mitral.  When I contacted the FAA later, they told me that they had approved
flight activity for pilots with one artificial device, but had never
approved two devices.  They said that I could apply, but did not encourage
it.  My wife was reluctant for me to resume flying, so I decided to accept
that I was not destined to return.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA