Subject: [Leica] A new M from Canon
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (Piers Hemy)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:36:39 +0100

Eric Hosking's and Stephen Dalton's work is indeed inspiring, but you should
also take a look at the work of John Brackenbury, Frank - a Cambridge
academic who uses extremely high power, extremely short-duration electronic
flash for images of insects in flight with extremely wide depth of field.
The results are most certainly not what you might expect, and
http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/article/7/36 gives a flavour of his work.

He is a bit less than forthcoming about the self-designed and assembled
equipment he uses (and was no more forthcoming when I arranged for him to
address a camera club a few years ago) but from the snippets I have
garnered, I think he is using some sort of Frazier lens (that is, an
extremely short focal length CCTV lens, with a macro lens to relay its image
to the film/sensor), along with the flash and laser triggering. And an
elaborate 'tank' with UV lighting to entice the subjects along the desired
flight path. Easy enough to knock together when you have the University of
Cambridge engineering labs at hand!

Piers