Subject: [Leica] wide multi shot horizon tonite?? help?
From: wtorry at vbar.com (Wayne Torry)
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 13:40:23 +0000

Steve,

In my limited experience I have used the following procedure:

1.  Camera rotated to vertical.

2.  Longer focal length to limit the vertical field of view.

3.  Manual exposure & focus.

4.  Odd number of frames. 5 seems to work well. Some of my friends have gone
as far as 7 for a really wide field of view.

5.  Stitch with Microsoft ICE. I don't have Photoshop. ICE fits my
definition of perfect software: It works & it is free.

6.  Crop to 7x17, 1:2, or whatever works for the photo in question.

To date, this is my best result so far. 5 frames. 70mm focal length on a
Canon 1D Mk III. Effective focal length = 91mm.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/279926-3/Sunset+Print-0148.jpg>

This is an early effort. 45mm lens on a Pentax 6x7. Camera horizontal. 3
frames. This effort convinced me to use a longer focal length, move back &
rotate the camera to vertical, and make more exposures.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/169899-2/Cyl+Pano.jpg>

Good luck tonight!

Wayne

Message: 45