Subject: [Leica] Rabs bites Dog
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:47:14 +0000

OK, 13"x19" is not much of a magnification. If you have seen no better then
what you have is good, on the other hand once you have seen what is
possible.... I know what I have seen;-)

john

A film scanner is certainly necessary for most 35mm scanning uses but
flatbeds have been often used the whole time for much more medium format and
sheet film uses. One can consider a medium format scanner to be a bit of a
high end piece of equipment. Plenty of photographers I've known have got by
without one over the digital first decade.. If it turns out I'm making mural
sized prints or some other thing in which my results seem to be lacking from
other stuff im seeing I'll look into medium format film scanners. In the
time being I've made hundreds of scans from my Hasselblads and Rolleiflex
negs and slides and made 13x19's from them from day one. And my first
scanner, a Umax had a fraction of the specs the one I'm using now has, an
Epson. Even the Umax I almost never used a full capacity or even close. It
had a SCSI interface!

Mark William Rabiner
Photography

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Rabs bites Dog)