Subject: [Leica] Frame Numbering
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:25:37 -0700

OK, maybe this is covered in some FAQ somewhere (and maybe I learned it
years ago from the LUG), but since the new M9 firmware resets the frame
numbers, this is a handy way to overcome that issue:

You will probably find that the latest M9 firmware upgrade will reset your
image numbers, e.g., back to L000001.dng.

If that creates a problem for you, simply shoot one picture on a card, and
insert it into your computer. Rename that picture file to whatever you want
(e.g., change L000001.dng to L002300.dng)

Then reinsert the card with the renamed file in the camera, and take a new
picture.  It should record as next in order. e.g., L002301.dng.

Even if you reformat the card, the new number sequence seems to be
preserved.  I don't shoot sidecar jpg, so can't tell you whether it works if
you shoot DNG + JPG, but why not?

Bib

Replies: Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Frame Numbering)