Subject: [Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 22:13:55 -0700

All of what you say is fine. But the question is really... why was the
photographer arrested?  Why was he struck or taken down?  And more
generically, was this behavior by the police within their SOP?

This all assumes the ( little bit of ) data we have is correct..... and not
slanted itself....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

Then and now I know that there are reasons for preventing a person from
being too close to a scene and can appreciate the stress that law
enforcement is under with every single stop they make. Every one is unique
and dynamic so the officer has to take all variables into account and make
the scene as safe for themselves as well as the civilians around them.

I'm not saying that I agree with the beating of people recording police
activity but there IS another side of the story and we must appreciate that
these people are doing a dangerous job in a capacity to protect people in
their charge and therefore should be given some obedience.
Not complete subservience but respect for the work they are doing.

All too often these discussions are far too black and white, yes or no, when
there is no such situation in real life.

Phil Forrest

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY)
Message from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest) ([Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY)