Subject: [Leica] NZ PAW 35
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 05:30:07 +0000

I know the JPEG output is flatter then the DNG, I have said that. It is
difficult to show them on the web as 36MB DNGs (as well(as precluding any
essential post-prod work), and it is the web that we are talking about
rather than prints. Several people have requested the DNG files but you are
not one of them.

Take http://johnmcmaster.com/Monochrom/Day_2/content/L2000195_large.html or
http://johnmcmaster.com/PAW/2012/35/content/L2000180_large.html  as an
example, do they look flat on your monitor?

If so I think the problem could be at your end........

A shot like http://johnmcmaster.com/PAW/2012/35/content/L2000185_large.html
shows the subtle greys which I have not seen with most converted colour
shots. To me it has dark shadows behind the holes and highlights down
vertical cement line in lower left but is predominantly mid-tone.

Do things always have to be very high in contrast?  I come from a full tonal
range medium/large format background rather than uprated/underexposed 35mm
Tri-X so maybe different expectations? Personally I rarely wanted blacks
(zone 0) in my prints and worked hard to keep them in zones I-III.

Or is this just a little envy emanating from New York?

john