Subject: [Leica] Auto Aperture with R lenses on the new M via the LeicaR > M adapter
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:02:24 -0400

For Frank especially but to all the rest concerned about using a non M lens
on the new M.  Assuming and this is a large assumption that the new M works
much like the Sony Nex the use of focus peaking is a real time affair.  If
you are using the LCD on the back it is fairly slow as you are trying to
stabilize the camera while focusing and moving with the subject.  Maybe for
the twenty somethings who have grown up on the iphone but I can't do it
well: it does work very well for considered subjects like landscape or
still life where being able to step back and look at the image as if it
were a ground glass on a view camera is very good for creativity.

However, when you put a viewfinder on it, it works just as intuitively as
any SLR ever made.  Instead of looking for that magic when a ground glass
snaps into focus you see a spot or an outline of the peaking color.  For
moderate speeds on your subject very easy to do.  If we are talking about a
careening 15 year old soccer player zigging down the field then there are
better options called predictive AF.  Your don't need the magnification as
in the 4/3 system as that is a pretty clunky set up if things are moving
around; too much changes in the image when you switch back and forth from
magnified to non magnified, at least for me.

Visit a stocking dealer and try out a Nex 5 or 7.  I even think it is
available on the newer A series cameras and give it a try.  Like anything
else not to everyones taste but worth looking at to make up your own mind.

Thanks for listening.  And in the spirit of Doc. Ted now go out and take
some images; remember to bend your knees if your subject is six or younger.
 :)

Don