Subject: [Leica] turn around time for coding lens for digital M's
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:34:38 -0400
References: <20599.17411.591734.750669@gargle.gargle.HOWL><CAJ3Pgh6oy+qWndG1-22sNW3uaKR+jeqs6YO-vmK6+K=nsrRAcQ@mail.gmail.com><CAE3QcF6q22UgtfbLrejFZa23o1EAshpecaPgg4nbRk0Rj2Jamw@mail.gmail.com><BAEF0DB452924DFF9966D90D76311564@syneticfeba505> <CAE3QcF6qXRt-ozSbjfhcU1f7c7e3Eh9ko6HymsTP4RKoh4U2bA@mail.gmail.com> <A426AF03412E4FCCA5665ECC12FBBAA0@syneticfeba505> <6262B0B0-77EC-4E8A-A51F-4B55CD534073@acm.org>

My understanding is that film has "depth" and a dgital sensor has almost
no depth.  So if the lens isn't focused on the active plane of the
sensor, you are defocused.

Second, I can understand that the optimal focal plane of the lens is
dependent with f-stop, and was set to the focus mount to a larger
tolerance during "film days".  Now with digital days, it is much more
important to set the focal distance to tighter tolerance, and also to
determine which f-stop to use to set the focal distance.

Vick

Message from roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark) ([Leica] turn around time for coding lens for digital M's)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] turn around time for coding lens for digital M's)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] turn around time for coding lens for digital M's)