Subject: [Leica] turn around time for coding lens for digital M's
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:51:18 -0700

I'm gonna add some fuel to this fire. Maybe there is some technical
witchcraft going on that I don't understand, or maybe some of you guys are
just plain superstitious and Leica is talking a lot of impressive bullshit
about lasers and suchlike.

So here is the understanding I've had for years as to how Leica worked
interchangeable lenses with a rangefinder mechanism.
1. The rangefinder was designed to work with a 50mm lens in that the as the
lens unit moved to and from the film plane, the real end of the lens
container pressed against a roller on a lever that actuated the rangefinder
mechanism. Other lenses used a pair of threads (the technical term being
differential threads) so that as the lens focussed (with greater motions if
the focal length was more than 50mm and lesser motion if less than 50mm) the
rear cylinder would move the same distance as that of a 50mm lens. With that
kind of system, the only adjustment that would be possible would be setting
the infinity stop and setting the distance marking ring to agree.

Also, there is absolutely no reason for a digital camera to have any
different focussing problems than a film camera. It just that the focus
might be a bit more accurate since the sensor is rigid and there is always
the possibility, despite a pressure plate, that the film is not exactly in a
plane.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204