Subject: [Leica] Marty, shutter lag in digital M
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 21:54:28 -0500

The slowest decisive moment time lag goes to Hasselblad in which 57 actions
have to happen before the exposure finally happens.
On the long list magazines used to run when they got into this topic like
when the "Real Time" Contax RTS came out the Hasselblad was decimal points
away slower from all the rest.
This never stopped it from being the official wedding camera used by the top
people for many decades with a flash. And also used in commercial fashion
and catalog situations where getting the decisive moment was very much part
of the program.
A wedding is like shooting a war. Things are flying and happening fast. If
you can shoot a wedding you can shoot anything. Shooting weddings used to
prime all my reflexes for shooting some photojournalism  I'd do in Portland
and street shooting before I switched from Nikon to Hasselblad.
I don't think I ever lost a shot becuae of that switch.
It might take three times longer for the exposure to happen. But as Ted says
I think you just learn to anticipate.
So its really not just about shutter lag. Its nice when its fast but no big
deal when its not. Kind of just like the loudness issue.
If it was people would have never gone from Leica to SLR's in the 60's.
I think the only thing which came close to competing with Leica M's shutter
lag wise was a twin lens Rolleiflex. I think I shot two weddings with mine.
Really awkward getting the flash on and off and changing film.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography

> From: Dennis Kushner <dennis.leicam6 at gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 21:20:18 -0500
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Marty, shutter lag in digital M
>
> That 68 ms lag  between my M6 & & future M just makes it harder
> for anyone to capture the "decisive moment". Not that I ever thought
> about it. Too much thinking & you'll miss it. Better to listen to Dr. Ted.
>
> I saved the following quote by Sal:
>
> "Remember, photography is NOT about equipment, film, the zone
>
> system or whether or not you wear a Tilley hat. It is about images,
>
> and vision. Equipment allows one to complete their vision and create
>
> a photograph. Equipment does not create vision. God invented Leicas
>
> and Canons (the devil invented Nikon :~)) for the same reason he
>
> invented Chevies and Fords. It's all a matter of taste!!!" Sal DiMarco
>

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Robert Meier <robertmeier at usjet.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Marty,
>>
>> So you are saying that Leica measured the lag of the M8 and M9 at 80 ms,
>> and the M3 at 13 ms.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> On Nov 6, 2012, at 7:24 PM, <tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> jon.streeter offered: