Subject: [Leica] Cameras Real Pros Use
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 16:02:30 -0800

I think you are blaming something about Leica in this.... the market has
determined that any electronics that is the past model, no matter how long
or short time ago that was, is considered JUNK.  Not worthy of use,
ownership or otherwise being seen in public with.

It happened in Stereo, Computers, TVs, and in this case, cameras.

Used makes prices go down about the square law faster......

In computers, the life cycle is considered about 4 months.  Sometimes less.

5 Years, you should be so lucky.....

I assume you stick with film use.  In that case look at it this way.. how
much film do you use in a year?
If the fiscal life of an M9 is 4 years, that is $7K/4 years or $1700 a year,
roughly.

If your film + development + scanning costs exceed that amount, you are
throwing money down the drain. In color, about 50-100 rolls a year.

Or you are enjoying the use of film, in which case it makes no
difference....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

For me, the deal killer with the digital M cameras thus far has been that
they start out very very expensive when New but their resale values drop
like those of cattle diagnosed with Mad Cow disease.

In this regard (never mind whether or not they are reliable or measure up to
the competition), they are different than just about every other Leica ever
made.

They go from pricey/scarce to obsolete/clearance items in less than 5 years,
it seems.

Emanuel