Subject: [Leica] Color vs B&W
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (Jon Streeter)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:27:33 -0800

I have the identical view on color vs. black and white.

I read a while back that one should think of one's favorite photographs and
then notice whether they're in black and white or color.  In the article I
read, the writer or the person being interviewed -- whatever -- said it
would almost always turn out that one's favorite photographs are in black
and white.

I get, as it were, the picture, and I still can't come out in favor of one
over the other.  Who has ever left a museum thinking that, Well, those oil
paintings were indeed masterpieces, but they'd have looked a lot better in
black and white?  Perhaps as Photoshop allows us to gain more control over
color, we'll begin to accept that masterpieces can also be in color.  Some
people seem to have made up their minds.  I just never could pick a favorite
because apples and oranges always seem to become a part of the issue.  Who
would insist that all Tina's photographs of Guatemala should be shown only
in black and white?  Not I.

A few years ago I spent considerable time scouring the Internet for Leica
photographs, and if I saw color, I'd immediately click to another site.  I
don't do that now.  When thinking of Kertesz, Cartier-Bresson, W. Eugene
Smith, and, more recently, Axelsson, it's hard to imagine that their
photographs would be anything but diminished in color.  On the other hand
there are photographers such as one of my favorites, Thomas Nebbia, whose
work I've seen only in color (and only in National Geographic), and I can't
imagine how removing the color, even in such a way as to make them into
stellar black and white photographs, would do anything but diminish them.