Subject: [Leica] Color vs. B&W
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:16:58 -0800

Sonny Carter OFFERED:
<<> And in the sixties too.  At the TV stations in Baton Rouge and New
Orleans,
> a photographer wore a coat and tie while on assignment.
>
> I got called in on the carpet for shooting a United Way banquet tieless on
> the way back from a  warehouse fire.
>
> The tie of course, made me a better photographer, <<<<<<<

Absolutely!!!!!! ;-) Now Sonny you know the tie was the most important part
of all our gear! ;-)

We were dressed "properly always!" As in shirt, tie and jackets! Proper
clothing and dressed appearance all the time.  If you were sent to cover  a
major fire and you smelt like a "chimney pot later?"  It was your problem to
get home, change clothes and look and smell "properly!" No excuses for the
next assignment!

Yep and a lot of you guys will be asking "How the hell did they expect you
to do that?"  "SORRY IF YOU WANT TO WORK FOR OUR NEWSPAPER THIS IS THE
PLAN!" You loved the job and you just did it!

And onto the next assignment whatever it was! No wimpy crying whining
excuses were accepted! You just nipped off, got it done and onto the next
assignment! Whatever it maybe?

Hell man it didn't matter! As "we were doing the greatest job in the
world..... "WE WERE NEWSPAPER PHOTOGRAPHERS!" YAHOO!!!!!!!!! :-)

No not the locust animals of today...... "PAPARAZZI!" We were gentlemen
photographers of class and etiquette!  Yes, yes I know many of you may find
that hard to believe? But do you know what? I don't give a crap whether you
do or not! That was life then and people were gentlemen and gentle ladies,
politely speaking!

We knew what cameras did whatever....... we only had one. A Speed Graphic
4X5 sheet film with a magazine of 12 sheets. There wasn't any of this day to
day babblefest crap about what camera, what lens, colour or B&W?

We shot our assignments and always hoped it would satisfy the City Editor
and most certainly whomever was the publisher!

We received a $25. dollars a week gas allowance for our cars!  Mileage if
the assignment were more than a hundred miles out of town. Otherwise? It was
expected your $25.00 gas allowance would cover it! :-)

I suppose I could go on a bit yet. :-) However, it's getting late and I
wouldn't want to bore anyone beyond what I have? So good night all!!

cheers,
Dr. ted

" <sonc.hegr at gmail.com>