Subject: [Leica] (Now) Nikon 24-120
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:29:03 +0000

The last time this was brought up was with a similar list of people all
talking about the current f4.0 version, here are some snippets from this
thread to show which lens was being talked about:

17/01
the Nikon 24-120 f4 ended up being resold in a couple of  months

19/01
May I ask what you didn't like about that new 24-120?

I hated that lens, could not get a decent result either on the D700 or D800E
for the most part, most shots were soft and had an unfocused look about them
- might have been an individual bad specimen, I don't know

This is the latest version we are all talking about.

20/01

I had the same experience with that lens and the one that preceded it.

I would personally not touch that lens again. Mine was one of the worse
lenses I have ever used.

The current Nikon 24-120 is made in Thailand and QC from the Nikon Thai
factory is a concern.  I went through several pieces of this lens before
accepting a good one.

I tried the latest version last October, and it was quite nice with good
resolution across the frame.

And this lens is suppose to be gold banded and much better than the original
24-120.

Or is it moving goalposts? They now have to say when/where bought and show
images rather than just say that they do not rate it?

john

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] (Now) Nikon 24-120)