Subject: [Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:02:00 -0800

This is typically a problem in the current state of Electronic repairs.....

Leica designs a module that performs all the shutter workings.  As they are
not an electronic house, they contract out the manufacture.  That company
does the PCB layout, component purchase, assembly,  etc; tests the module on
some large test system, and sends in working boards to Leica.  When a repair
comes up, Leica swaps out modules.....bad for good.  The problem is that the
only thing wrong with the module is that it has a $0.01 resistor bad.  Since
only the original maker has the ability to test the module to the component
level, the repair on the $0.01 resistor can not be done.

This methodology I believe first appeared in TV repairs...

The reality is that a good schematic and a good technician has the
probability to repair a module at the component level.

Having said this about electronic modules, it could be a mechanical
part..... in which case you have the same issues.  With a good mechanical
technician, he can do trauma surgery with a very good likelihood of success.
But you need that donor body.  All the donor body needs to have is your one
needed part that works.

It all gets down to.... and when do you switch to something else besides a
DMR...

It is not a matter of IF, it is a matter of WHEN.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

I wonder if Solms, etc don't even have the diagnostic equipment to isolate
the error, other than the generic "mother board faulty"
determination.

...Vick

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday AN OPEN COMMENT!)
Message from JNelon at NelonAssociates.com (James R. Nelon) ([Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday)
Message from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Topoxforddoc) ([Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday)
Message from JNelon at NelonAssociates.com (James R. Nelon) ([Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday)
Message from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday)