Subject: [Leica] 250mm f/4 Telyt
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:54:06 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Phil Forrest wrote:

How is the quality of this optic? Good, I'm sure but is it worth losing the
convenience of metering wide open on a Nikon body?
<<<

There are two versions of the 250mm f/4 Telyt.  The version that you will
find most often is the early very heavy model with a fixed tripod mount and
long minimum focus distance.  I have not used this version; I used the later
model with is smaller, lighter, has a much closer minimum focus distance,
and a rotating tripod mount.  Optically it's good, but for the way I work
the lack of auto diaphragm is a real problem.  If I were using Nikon bodies
I'd use a Nikon 300mm ED-IF instead of adapting a non-APO Leica lens and
losing the auto-diaphragm.  If it were an APO lens that's another story, and
another price range.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com