Subject: [Leica] It is wonderful to find a "stash" of old photos.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 10:04:34 -0800

Vick Ko OFFERED:

> It is wonderful to find a "stash" of old photos.
>
> These were 8x10 shots of my son, probably taken on an RD1 and printed out.
>
> I don't think there is going to be a phenomena in the future of "coming
> across a bunch of digital photos" 5 years after they were taken.
>
> It certainly is reinforcing my thoughts of:
> - return to film. If it is important, use film
> - if I have to use digital, make sure it gets printed. If it is important,
> don't leave it to be "bits and bytes"<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Vick,
I feel one of the failings in today's digital world is the lack of making
prints............ "So we can find a stash of prints later!"  I don't know
what the CREW do with many of their walk about shoots? Do they do a quick
edit on screen, dump the crap, then print a frame or two off screen?  Do
they leave them on a hard drive? Burn a disc? Make prints (various sizes?)
then put them in an album as a keepsake "photo album" as in the long gone
past?

We as kids can probably re-call the "Family photo albums" that were quite
often pulled out when visitors came for dinner. Either before or after
dinner as part of the "entertainment?"

But today with digital the "computer-room is too small, cluttered or it's
just a bother for people to gather around and look at the screen or wait
while you "attempt to find the latest pictures of wee Molly!" I probably
make "more 8.5 X 11 prints" than I made 4x6 prints in the old wet darkroom
days. And pull out a box of prints... "Here have a look at these!" :-)

But I'm a "Print person!" :-) I probably spend a fortune for inks and large
size print paper 13X19 or slightly smaller because I love to hold a print in
my hands, look them over carefully and admire them. :-) Occasionally? :-) Or
file 13 them if they no longer fit my likings.

There is such a wonderful feeling derived from holding a large "paper print"
in your hands that a computer or TV screen can't do. You hold it, look at it
for time that seem endless. WHY? Well it just makes you feel nice about your
captured moment of life. Whatever it might be.

Finding stashes of prints in the future? Man there are stashes of prints,
boxes of prints all over the house. Often surprise myself when I open  an
old 16X20 box of wet tray prints I haven't looked at in a couple dozen
years. Then sit down, taking each carefully from the box admiring each. OR?
Quietly to myself..... "Idiot what did you take that for or worse? "Why did
you make a 16X20?" Then return it to the box for some other day in the
future while going through the same routine again. :-) You will repeat
yorself one more time! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest) ([Leica] It is wonderful to find a "stash" of old photos.)