Subject: [Leica] It is wonderful to find a "stash" of old photos.
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 13:17:18 -0500

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 10:04:34 -0800
<tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:

>" I don't know what the CREW do with many of their walk about shoots?
> Do they do a quick edit on screen, dump the crap, then print a frame
> or two off screen?  Do they leave them on a hard drive? Burn a disc?
> Make prints (various sizes?) then put them in an album as a keepsake
> "photo album" as in the long gone past?"

> cheers,
> Dr. ted

I was taught to never get rid of negatives, so that's how I treat my
digital files. Even though I've been using digital constantly for about
15 years, there is still that little twinge of mistrust in the back of
my mind about how easily digital data is corrupted. These days, it's a
lot better than even a few years ago but there is no amount of "nose
grease" or moisture from one's breath that can save a file from a
corrupted disk sector. All that digital doom and gloom said, I shoot
probably 100x as much digitally as I do with film. Film is a bit more
deliberate for me. Something I take out on the proverbial Sunday
afternoon.
For me, film is two fingers of very fine whiskey with a teaspoon of ice
cold water while digital is a bit more edgy, a shot of booze that goes
down quick but isn't savored as much.
Even if I don't print, I delete nothing and have three backups to that
data as soon as possible.
One of these days I'll start printing more though. It's a money issue
right now, then when money won't be an issue it'll be a time issue then
I'll find some new excuse not to do it, I'm sure.

Phil Forrest

--
http://philipforrestphoto.wordpress.com/
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/philforrest