Subject: [Leica] My last aftermarket battery just died
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:09:53 +1000

This is one of those long standing discussions. Some folks report good
experience with the much cheaper alternates and others not.
In this case Frank bought twelve and they have all died within two years.
Some are prepared to pay much more for the Leica branded ones  because
their assessment is that they should be more reliable and the extra is
acceptable for a 6 or $7000.camera and their photography That doesn't make
them suckers.
Everyone will do their own sums on cost/performance. Why not.

One of my originals (I have 3 in total) is about five years old, one about
four and one three (new with my M9). All continue to work fine. Actually
Leica Camera suggests that 3 years is a reasonable life before replacement
is recommended.
Lower output from old or non-genuine items was the factor that Leica Camera
identified as contributing to card problems(write fails) with the M9, which
is why the latest M9 firmware was introduced.

*If you want to take more interesting pictures,
stand in front of more interesting stuff* -- Joe McNally

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman