Subject: [Leica] My last aftermarket battery just died
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 18:39:39 -0400

I remember the first time I ever tried to lookup something on the internet.
And I was paying by the minute!
There I am looking at listing of people talking about it on discussion
groups. Why would I ever want to read those!? Just give me a reliable source
please! A review from a real reviewer, the manufactures specs. A book on
it...

Later on things changed I was on some of those discussion groups and I'm
realizing that when you look at a discussion with 25 people all saying a
product  crapped out on them after a year then that's better than a
reference to an encyclopedia or some expert or bloggers opinion or certainly
the hype from the manufacture.
Its  the direct experience from 25 users.

This particular thread here  " My last aftermarket battery just died" opened
with a guy saying that all 25 of his aftermarket batteries are dead and a
pile of people all concurred with the exact same experience.
NO ONE came on and said "My aftermarket batteries have been working for me
like a brand marked one was for years".
Yet it has never the less evolved into quite a controversy.
It seems that just like the use of UV filter there are people who are in the
mindset that despite all logic and history after buying a premium piece of
gear they are going to skimp like crazy on all the stuff which makes it go.
So its not logic which is the issue here folks..