Subject: [Leica] Technical detail--why? ok! here's why! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:47:56 -0700
References: <1FAEC7E9-142F-40DF-BB4C-AECAA40CEDF9@frozenlight.eu><EB1CAE194A1E4FFCBB91ABB648C39D80@syneticfeba505><CABNC8SpzNgU5efbvbyTuk-hOmtSt-rnYSX+RDpXLUd_R-5VDqA@mail.gmail.com><CABNC8SpStuO+k+CgkgGrA0pRHcQXT+ujQv557HseZdqWckV0WA@mail.gmail.com><163455EC-1EF2-43AB-9351-A4FA097765F2@sfr.fr><CAFfkXxtvZb2K8AMSZfKzjVKhtAddEa4daZTwgqnzLpCvqcCJmA@mail.gmail.com> <CABNC8SqapJ6F2yHqdiq-FoUznqqs6sXKrN_ZSAESiuD-177dQw@mail.gmail.com>

Cedric Agie offered;
>>>All professional photographers I know (but they are
few) work the same way and sometimes compare their results. I guess
amateurs never or seldom do so and prefer endless discussions about
subjects, in fact articles, they have just read somewhere and that
they take for granted.

When a professional photographer reads something new, he has an
attitude of prudence, he first wants to know  what and why, before
accepting (buying) anything. Even with Leica and Hasselblad.<<<<<<

Well Cedric old buddy you haven't been talking to this old fart professional
photographer whose first news photo was front page Ottawa Citizen in Ottawa.
The National Capital of Canada 17 September 1951. And published quite
probably every week since. :-)

Oh yeah and as we speak I would like to point out, in case you don't take me
serious? The photo collection of my photographic experience in the National
Archives of Canada is 280,000 images. And down the street in the National
Gallery of Canada there is another 100,000 images from documentaries across
our great land! And some of yours, the USA I believe.

And you are a professor. Great, so am I.... It's Dr. Ted Grant, Honorary
Doctorate of Laws due to my rather wild and crazy life as a photojournalist,
university lecturer, author and heavens know what in photography!  If you
care to read more at the moment do try:  TEDGRANTPHOTO.COM  my website.
Thank you. Remember I didn''t write that stuff because when I read it. I
asked, are you folks writing about me?  Yeah I know it's hard to believe.
But then I was always the "Silent Observer"

Then come October 2013 wait for the biography release of a 55,000 word and
135 photographs book. No I didn't write it, I just sat there for half  a
year being interviewed by the author. Then she went off across Canada doing
interviews with ex-Prime Ministers and many publishing folks.

Now before you get all ranty I would like to point out that this "writing,
reading and making notes and keeping track of details and for why?" Is
obviously a face to face conversation at best, not for internet conversation
simply because the internet isn't  fast enough in carrying rebuttals and
quick discussions!

It's a topic of rebuttals, faster than the internet can cope with and the
subject should be while we are all sitting at a round table, obviously a
cold beer in hand to keep it civil so we can go back and forth without
snarling at each other in stupid discourse what is right or wrong as we see
unfortunately on the screen?

OR? Maybe a broader explanation of whom each poster is and their back ground
in our delightful world of photography of a million various venues!

You good Sir are, I believe involved in the major side of technical
understandings of glass in lenses and the likes? ERGO, a major reason to
keep notes and that's no problem as it's life in the development of fine
optics. And you use your notes for a completely different side of
photography than many of us who have slightly more than a few years
experience as published professional photographers. Where keeping notes,
other than for captions is all that's necessary. Technical stuff? Very
rarely as a working photojournalist.

And I respectively offer. Keeping notes on what we gear is a complete and
utter waste of our time.

By the same token, many of our folks like to keep notes as that's part of
their way in doing their photography. Then there's me! :-) Heck man I just
shoot everything that turns me on that has anything to do with the
assignment subject from Open Heart surgery to cowboys of North America  and
or the Olympics wherever they maybe in the world.

Technical conversations are without question far more interesting and
understanding of each of our ways of being involved in our particular field
of photography when we are face to face chatting about it.
"BEEN THERE---- DONE IT MANY MANY TIMES. AND ENJOYED IT IMMENSELY AS I
ALWAYS LEARNED SOMETHING. FACE TO FACE!"  But on the internet? All it does
is create on some occasions "bad feelings?" And or e-mails of ridiculous
wastes of time! As I'm sure some of the crew today will chastise me for! :-)

There now good Sir, I trust I may have cleared? Or completely screwed
everything up Royally so it'll take several "Single Malts" to clear the air
and we can all understand each others meaning of and how we do our
photography. NOTES OR NO NOTES! :-)

OK there you are lads and lasses. Thank you and good night! :-)

Cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Technical detail--why? ok! here's why! :-))
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Technical detail--why?)