Subject: [Leica] Nothing else for it
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 09:37:44 -0700

If you are 1M (39 inches) away from your subject at the film plane, you are
standing in their personal space.  If you move to 2 feet away, your lens is
about 18 inches from their face.  Isn't that a bit close for portraiture?

Note: the new incarnation of the 90 Macro Elmar (with the close focus
attachment) focuses to 0.5M.  Technically, there is a solution.

I always wonder when I hear this.....

Closer = I am in a physical space that requires me to be close?
Closer = I want to intimidate ( or use other word) to change or influence
the person's attitude and therefore their facial expression?
Closer = I like the imaging qualities of a particular lens, and that lens
only focuses to x feet?

Do you need to work closer or have a more cropped image of your subject?
Is it possible you are using the wrong focal length to get the image you
desire?  ( 75 instead of a 90 or 135?)
Why don't you crop the desired image from the "negative"?

Why is there a "need" to get closer?  Please explain...

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

None of the Leica 90s focus closer than 1m - I need to work closer than
that.  It's not about reproduction ratio, it'sabout getting close.

Marty

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Nothing else for it)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Nothing else for it)
Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Nothing else for it)